Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Heat Check: Murdered You On Your Own Shit Awards Interlude


"The Murdered You On Your Own Shit" Award Series: NBA Playoffs Edition will return tomorrow. For now, here's my take on HipHopSite.com's 20 Best Show-Stealing Verses.

Miami Heat Index's 20 Best Show-Stealing Verses in Hip Hop
I had no problem with the verses ranked 20th and 19th, but HipHopSite.com ranked J. Cole on Wale’s “Beautiful Bliss” as the 18th-best show-stealing verse. I've never heard that song so I'd replace it with Nikki Minaj's verse on "Monster" by Kanye West.

I don't have any problems with songs 14-17. No. 13 is Lil’ Fame (M.O.P.) on Jay-Z’s "U Don’t Know (Remix)". I love Lil' Fame's verse and think it sets the song off beautifully, but I'm not sure I agree that he stole the show from Jigga. Jay-Z's verse was so dope that it was paraphrased for the Eastern Conference Finals Preview. The only problem with Jay's verse is that it went on four bars too long. If he stopped it at, "I got more ziti bake", then it wouldn't even be a discussion of whether Lil' Fame bodied him on the track or not.

No problems with songs 6-12. At No. 5, I would've picked Notorious B.I.G. on the "Flava In Ya Ear (Remix)" instead of Tracey Lee’s “Keep Ya Hands High”. Of course, Busta Rhymes' verse is a problem...

No problem with No. 4 but I would change No. 3 from Nas's verse on "Live at the BBQ" to his verse on "Verbal Intercourse."

I've never heard No. 2, Eminem on 50 Cent’s “Patiently Waiting”, so I would replace that with Eminem on D12's "Fight Music."

Who could disagree with HipHopSite.com's No. 1 show-stealing verse in Hip Hop history? Busta Rhymes on A Tribe Called Quest’s “Scenario” is arguably the greatest guest appearance in rap history. Busta also gets an honorable mention for his appearance on Bone Crusher's "Never Scared (Remix)." I don't think Busta's EVER been bodied on a record.

That's it. That's the list.

The "The Murdered You On Your Own Shit" Award Series: NBA Playoffs Edition return tomorrow with the best playoff performances on the road ranked 6-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment